The Berghoff is looking for an experienced, part-time host for its full-service restaurant in downtown Chicago. A host’s main responsibility is to greet guests in a warm, friendly, and sincere manner. As a Chicago institution, we take pride in our knowledgeable staff members and we expect the person stationed at our host stand to familiarize themselves with Chicago and Berghoff’s storied beginnings in our beloved city.
* Provide a friendly greeting for guests, use guest’s name, confirm number in party, ask guests for their seating preference and special needs, walk with guests, at their pace, to the table, alert guests of steps and inclines, assist if necessary and inform server and/or manager of special needs.
* Notify manager when you perceive a guest or party to be unsatisfied.
* Able to make reservations accurately and courteously over the phone.
* Hold knowledge of the floor plan, server station assignments and table numbers.
* Keep immediate supervisor promptly and fully informed of all problems or unusual matters of
significance and take prompt corrective action when necessary.
* Be familiar with emergency safety measures.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
* Due to constant public engagement, grooming is a factor of the utmost importance and one must
adhere to appearance code guidelines as set forth in the Company manual.
* Prior experience in restaurant operations.
* Current Food Handler’s Certification and BASSET Training Certification.
* Ability to remain on feet for a prolonged period of time and to move through the dining room and
lobby to escort guests.
* Neat and clean appearance.
* Ability to maintain a pleasant disposition and function efficiently in high stress/pressure work
environment with shifting demands.
* Pleasant speaking voice and phone etiquette
* Must enjoy extensive guest and employee contact.
* Ability to listen effectively, to speak and write English clearly.
* Ability to lift and carry up to 30lbs.