Regardless of culture or tradition, one thing remains consistent about holiday festivities: food plays a major role! To ring in the holidays, I decided to develop a unique new take on several of my favorite ingredients to add some flavor to my Christmas creations. I worked alongside The Berghoff’s catering sous chef Liz Tokarczyk to develop a signature Ten Spice Mix, perfect for complimenting holiday concoctions. The mix can serve as the focal point of a dip, or be used to season other foods, like meats or soups. Chef Liz especially recommends it for salmon filets. The interesting thing about this mix is that it incorporates several everyday culinary staples into one large potpourri, creating a new and interesting flavor from some very familiar ones. Most of the ingredients are found regularly in dishes I serve to my family as well as meals made at The Berghoff, but what is rare about this mix is using all ten spices together as one. The ten spice mix is composed of various ratios of oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, salt, black pepper, marjoram, paprika, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes, blending them to create a cohesive (and delicious) taste. Since most of these ingredients are quite traditional, making your own might not even require a trip to the grocery store: just raid your spice cabinet and follow my directions to make your own! This spice mix also serves as an excellent and original idea to bring as a host or hostess gift for friends and family. Just pick up a few small tin cases to package, and get as creative with the label as you see fit to give the gift of inspiration this holiday season!
Ten Spice Mix
- 3 Tablespoons Dried Oregano Leaves
- 3 Tablespoons Dried Basil Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Thyme Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Marjoram Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Red Pepper Flakes
- Whisk all ingredients in a Bowl.
- Store in an Airtight Container.
Once you have the mix prepared, use it to compliment some salmon or flavor a dip! Chef Liz recommends serving the Ten Spice Salmon with Sautéed Spinach and Roasted Fingerling Potatoes or on top of a Large Green Leaf Salad! The dip tastes great on Crudités, Toast Points, Crackers or a Fresh Baguette! Following are the recipes for both:
Ten Spice Mix Crusted Salmon Filets
- 4 – 6oz Salmon Filets, Aprox. 1.5” – 1.75” Thick (Boneless/Skinless)
- 5 Tablespoons + 1 Teaspoon Chimmichurri Dry Rub
- 3T Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Put a Med./Large Sautee Pan on the stove over Med. Heat, aprox 3-4 min.
- Meanwhile, lay the Fish out on a plate and lightly season with the Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
- After the Fish is seasoned, evenly divide the Chimmichurri Dry Rub over the 4 Fish Filets and pat down.
- Add the oil to the pan and let heat, aprox. Another 3-4 min.
- Place your Fish Filets in the Hot Pan one at a time with the Dry Rub Facing down.
- Sear in the Pan for aprox 5-6 Min.
- Flip the filets and turn down the heat to Med. Low and finishing cooking the Fish for about 8-9 min for Med. Rare.
- Remove the Fish from the Pan and Enjoy!
Ten Spice Mix Dip
Yield: Aprox. 2 Cups (8 – 2oz Servings)
- 2 Ripe Small Avocado (Peeled and De-Pitted)
- ½ Cup + 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- ½ Cup + 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
- Juice of 1 Fresh Lemon
- 3 Tablespoons + 1 Teaspoon Ten Spice Mix
- In a Small Bowl mash the Avocado with a Fork.
- In the same Bowl add all Remaining ingredients and Mix with fork until well incorporated.
- Chill for at least 2 Hours.
Note: Dip can be made up to 2 Days in advance and stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator