Memorial Day weekend is upon us and fingers crossed, spring is finally here to stay in Chicago. What goes better with a holiday weekend and sunshine, then picnics?
Picnics are one of my favorite ways to enjoy the outdoors with my family and friends. Whether it is in our own backyard or at the beach, our picnic basket is always ready to go. The process of packing for a picnic is quite simple and is something my whole family loves to be a part of. It begins with a trip to the local farmer’s market in the morning. My theme is always any easy finger foods delights…nothing that needs to be cut goes in the basket. It’s also a great way to empty out your fridge of relishes, dips, cheeses, and meats.
The menu for this Memorial Day Picnic will be:
- Crudités Platter: olives, carrots, radishes, peppers, and asparagus
- Assorted Cheeses and Crackers
- Fruit: melon wedges, strawberries, and grapes
- Chips with Salsa and Guacamole
- Ham Rolls with Tofutti cream cheese and chives
- Turkey pieces: already cut up
- Bottles and cans of iced beverages packed in a cooler
- Cucumber Lemonade (this is a family favorite)
Don’t forget to pack blankets, cups, plates, napkins, bug spray, a trash bag, and other picnic necessities. Cheers to good weather and a sunny disposition.